Pages

This blog chronicles Matthew Staib's progress as he serves an LDS mission over the course of twenty-four months.

You can also read his personal blog at different, defined.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Testimony of Prayer

What up, broskies.

I'd been a whiny girl for a few days. I'm all set now. Thankfully, the happiness of seeing those that we and the members care about have made me happy. One such group of people we're always happy to see is a new family we're teaching now.

Seriously. Every time we go to their house, everyone is just in a spiritual bliss. We really connected with them this past week. We didn't have a dinner appointment that night. We weren't too hungry. We knocked on their door, and they were making a big pot of chili. They invited us to eat with them. BLESSINGS. As we ate, we got to really enjoy each other's company. It kinda broke off, where Elder Warren talked with the father about food storage and the Cherokee nation as they cooked some more chili. I stayed at the table and talked with the mother and daughter about all sorts of things. We answered many sprinkled gospel questions about prophets and the Word of Wisdom as the mom drank her iced tea. She said, "Clearly the prophet wasn't a Southerner," in a joking manner. The daughter used to work at Disney World at a villian's candy shop. JEALOUSY. Their family used to be able to get into Disney World for free all the time. I told them how our family is very passionate about Disney things.

They have many pets. They own a plot of land that has many pens for horses and goats. They've got a border collie that they keep outside, but the inside of their house has a few cats; 4, to be exact. One cat has 3 legs. It's the best mouser out of the other cats, too. AWESOME. It's very cuddly and acts just like any other cat. It's perfectly happy and hobbles around like no one's business. It's a fun thing to play with, but it still has claws, so I've got some scratches.

We had our first official lesson with them that Tuesday night. We taught the First lesson, with the aid of Elder Warren's large tower of labeled cups. It made the lesson a lot easier to teach. Ah, right. I asked how their Book of Mormon reading was going. The mom had read 3 Ne 11 (which was the scripture we left them with) 3 times. The daughter read 3 Ne 11, 12, 13 and 14, and started 3 Ne from the beginning because she wanted to know what led up to the events of Christ's coming. CURIOUS. After our lesson, the dad pointed out one particular cup labeled, "Teaching the Dead", and began to ask questions on resurrection. I just looked at Elder Warren, beamed and responded with, "We really wanna tell you the answer, but that's EXACTLY what we'll talk about in our next lesson." The father then gladly gave the closing prayer in the most open conversational manner I've ever heard anyone pray. SPIRIT.

Now, tell me. ARE THESE PEOPLE NOT INCREDIBLE? They were gonna come to church yesterday, but a family member was in the hospital. Darn. Hopefully we'll find out more about that tonight or tomorrow night, whenever we see them next. We're making it a point to bring a member with us next time we see them.

Elder Warren's birthday was Saturday. We had IHOP with an investigator for breakfast (Nicole is her name. Most God-loving person I've ever met. She's incredible and will definitely be baptized some time soon). We had loads of pizza with the Walnut Grove area's mission leader for lunch, and a big plate of loaded nachos for dinner. Not only is my stomach raising open rebellion against the rest of my body, but I'm pretty sure I've doubled my weight. I'm making it a point to work out a lot harder this week in the mornings.

Holly (who I have probably mentioned before) came to church. She came because Elder Warren was giving his farewell talk in the Collierville 1st ward, but she ran into the bishop of the 2nd ward when she came into the church. He immediately walked up to her, embraced her and gave her a big kiss on the cheek. "I'm so glad you're here", he said. She told bishop she's making it a point to come to church every  week now, and with that kind of welcome back into the building, SHE'D BETTER KEEP THAT COMMITMENT... We love Holly, she's great. Another huge reason that she's coming to church next Sunday is that through powers beyond my own control, Elder Warren and I have been...asked to sing a musical number in both wards. We'll be singing Hymn #335.

Seriously... Once one person found out that "OMG frlz the Eld3rz can sang SOUNGS desu" everyone jumped on us. (Dad, that sentence is totally out of the realms of spelling and grammar corrections. It's amazing and it will stay.) So we're singing in both wards, and it probably won't be the last one I'll sing in this building. I've sung a few times in other members' homes, but... THAT'S ANOTHER THING. A thing for not now. Anyway, Holly came. Yaaaaay.

Elder Warren is slowly, but surely, dying [coming to the end of his time as a missionary]. His favorite scriptures, particularly at this time, are the last 2 verses of the book of Enos. Everyone's asking him about his plans for after he gets home, what his schooling plans are, why the heck does he have 23 siblings... So yeah, it's kinda tough in that environment and NOT think about those same questions for myself. Granted, I have more solid plans for after my mission than most guys out here anyway, so it's easy for my mind to wander over there for a bit.

I hear Utah got SNOW. Elder Warren found out about the splendorous weather Kaysville, and Alpine should be receiving for the next few days. A couple of members at church yesterday said that the resorts got blasted with like...2 feet. Good for you guys. So happy. I'll just keep my snowflake-patterned pocketwatch close. Have I posted pictures of that thing on my blog yet? I'll be sure to do that soon.

I've written a lot. That's a lot to read. I'll end here. Hope everyone had a rockin' Valentine's Day. I did, teaching the new family. O A O Amazing people. I think the best part of teaching all of them is that they keep asking question after question, and we're able to answer it. You know what that means? Church is true.

Everyone stay safe. I love you all. I won't say "ya'll" because hearing a non-Southern boy say it really bugs me, to be honest. So I love. YOU ALL. Very much. Thanks for all the friendships you've given me these past years, and I'm excited to further teach the new family, and any other family as faithful and curious about the church as they are.

Gosh, I swear I've been on something all week... Let's leave with this:

God is always willing to answer our prayers if we ask in faith. It's something we hear all the time in this church, but I wasn't able to really apply it until a couple weeks ago.

My testimony has grown to heights I never imagined it to be at, ever. Here I am, just now figuring this stuff out. I had all this knowledge in my mind, but until now, none of it had touched my heart as powerfully as it is now.

I asked God to help me know how to solve a problem, and clear as day, I received an answer. All we need is to ask in faith, with faith being the keystone of the phrase. There? We good? Spiritual thought nailed? This gospel has really made me happy, and I'm excited for it to apply in my real life.

MUCH LOVE. :B

-Elder Staib

No comments:

Post a Comment