Pages

This blog chronicles Matthew Staib's progress as he serves an LDS mission over the course of twenty-four months.

You can also read his personal blog at different, defined.

Monday, April 29, 2013

A New Companion

Spring is in the air.

I've got a new companion. I am officially a "mother", because I'm follow-up training him! His name is Elder Talbert, and he was trained by Elder Jacobson, a good Elder and friend that served in Frayser when I was in his district as I served in West Memphis. Elder Talbert is from Orem and worked at the Cinemark there right before he left. Elder Talbert is a survivor of many heart problems, including a heart transplant that was performed on him 5 years ago. Despite these problems, he performs and acts like any other 19-year-old.

We're getting along just fine. He's quiet, but has a good wit and is just as nerdy as I am. In fact...and it scares me to admit... he is the middle child of a family of 5. The youngest in his family, his little brother, is almost 15 years old. He's a bit shorter than the other kids his age, he wears glasses and has very blonde hair. I saw his picture. I freaked out. I then showed him the pictures of me and MY little brother. We both started freaking out.

Our numbers (as far as "key indicators" go) weren't too great this week from all the traveling, as well as the fact that I wasn't even in Pocahontas half the week. I'm making it a point, however, to visit the progressing investigators more often throughout the week, so we can keep the Spirit around them instead of letting Satan have his way with 'em. I'm also trying to give Elder Talbert some more speaking time, because I can't keep my lid shut when I get in the groove. I feel like Jacob, when he says (and I may have shared this scripture before),

"Behold, my beloved brethren, I will unfold this mystery unto you; if I do not, by any means, get shaken from my firmness in the Spirit, and stumble because of my over anxiety for you."

Jacob was anxious to share his message and solve everyone's problems, and I'm the same. Sometimes I just have to pause and hand the discussion to my companion. I'll get ahead of the Spirit and trip up, which ain't the best thing.

Everyone is progressing...smoothly, I guess you can say. No one with a baptismal date is moving backwards, which is good. Just need to get good habits going, like READING, PRAYING and COMING TO CHURCH. People gotta do those things! Little, if any, revelation comes without those divine channels in our lives.

Our recent convert, Brianna, has found love for the Book of Mormon, though. Ever since she began consistently reading, her life has become so much better. Maybe her situation hasn't gotten better, but her outlook on life certainly has. It's a huge testimony to me that the Book of Mormon truly "healeth the wounded soul" (which are also Jacob's words).

As for me, my weight has balanced to be around 135, so that's probably what it's going to be for the rest of my mission. Every day I'm living on Ramen and frozen burritos, and I've got enough snacks to never be hungry when I'm in the apartment. I've got granola bars, fruit snacks, pasta, Gardetto's, a bunch of candy... I'm a happy camper. No complaints here! I haven't gotten a letter in forever, though, but that's about it.

Love y'all! Just riding the missionary wave, and it's fun. Now I have to go help the senior missionaries burn some CDs and DVDs. One thing I've realized on the mission is that you'll find out how to utilize your talents. I've been able to use my talents by distributing media EVERYWHERE. People are being blessed by the messages and videos provided by Mormon.org or LDS.org, and it's been fun giving it to others.

-Elder Staib

No comments:

Post a Comment