Pages

This blog chronicles Matthew Staib's progress as he serves an LDS mission over the course of twenty-four months.

You can also read his personal blog at different, defined.

Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm Sad to Leave Jonesboro

Everyone, I'm leaving Jonesboro. And I do not like it.

I really thought I was growing as a missionary here. I felt like Jonesboro would be my new stomping grounds, and I would help the member missionary work get better along with the amount of new investigators. The reason it didn't happen in the 3 months I was here could be from several factors. Maybe it was because of the holidays, and all the students just came back. Maybe we had to get a couple baptized people to get the members excited. I can think of a few other things that I won't write down, but all in all, maybe the work in Jonesboro didn't progress as much as I wanted it too because I waited too long.

Whatever the reason, I'm leaving Jonesboro. And I do not like it.

It makes my stomach turn to talk about investigators or anything like that because... I won't be seeing them or teaching them ever again ever. I was really excited for some, too! Michael has had family trouble every week for the past 3 weeks, so he hasn't been coming to church, but he still loves to see us and study with us and learn how simple the gospel can be. He wants to come to Institute and church as soon as he can, work and family permitting. Michael has grown to love and trust us missionaries.

We also had a cool potential investigator come onto our radar this week. We go to Wendy's often because we get a plethora of coupons. There's a girl who works there that sees us as regulars, and we chat with her about random things. She asks us questions about the mission. She's very curious about it.

Turns out missionaries have knocked on her door before. She has also worked close to a member in our ward, so she thinks, "If they're from the same church, they're good people". Her name is Liz. A red-head that works at Wendy's. Fantastic. She lives just across the street, and her fiancĂ© works at a barbeque place also across the street. All these two people do is work. We set up  a chance to see them Sunday, but her uncle was in the hospital and she was asked by her parents to make a dinner and the Superbowl was happening yaddayadda IN THE END. We were unable to meet with her. And we were sad, but excited to see her soon and set up another time.

But I'm leaving, so... can't be much excited anymore, can I? :/

I may be moving to Pocahontas, which is directly north of Jonesboro. We'll see if that comes true. I'm kinda bummed, though, because it seems that no matter where I'm placed, I'll be far from familiar people. Pocahontas is far from ANY people, so that's a bit troublesome, too.

Jonesboro was a very social city, for people and for missionaries. Working a city with 2 other sets of missionaries was fun and wonderful. With coordination, work was done, and there were many opportunities to serve, teach and encourage each other. It'll be hard to be in the opposite spectrum for the next bit. One tender mercy is that I know I'll be in my next area for at least 3 transfers. I've been given the duty to "kill off" another missionary. Sending people home is really a drag

POSITIVE NOTE. Let's see... I'll get to meet new people! Who knows who's out there for me to meet. Also, I've never doubted that wherever I go, there's someone there that needs me, or I need them. Collierville, West Memphis and now Jonesboro have all been proof of that. Another point: I can mentally prepare myself to stay in my next area for a while. And if it's in Pocahontas, there will be an incredible set of Senior missionaries that bake us cookies ALL THE TIME. These Senior missionaries are legends.

Pray for me that I'll have the peace and comfort of knowing my new area needs me. I'm excited to meet new people, but packing up will be hard. I don't even know who to say goodbye to, but... Jonesboro was good to me.

-Elder Staib


No comments:

Post a Comment