Pages

This blog chronicles Matthew Staib's progress as he serves an LDS mission over the course of twenty-four months.

You can also read his personal blog at different, defined.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Ray was Baptized on Saturday

We had a baptism.

The water was very warm, and I got him in one, smooth dunk. Sounds good for a river, right? That's because we didn't have it in the river. It started raining on Thursday and kept raining for the rest of the weekend. I called Ray and asked if he wanted to push it to the next week...again. Ray said the covenant was more important than the location, and he was wanting to make his life better. The entire baptism scenario became immediately easier without having to worry about guiding everyone to the baptismal site and getting dressed outdoors and stepping on alligator snapping turtles and it was just all-around better.



I'm not disappointed in any way. In fact, I feel really bad about asking for a river baptism now since there was a lot of preparation for it on the landowner's part.

At the baptism, a young family showed up. Their names (if I have not talked about them before) are John, Jennifer and Creanne. I won't get into details, but the missionaries basically have a permanent place in their home. Their faith has done nothing but build since we've been there, and they're relying on Christ more in everything they do. They decided last week to read more often as a family. They're now coming to family nights just about every week. John was recently blessed with a job soon after quitting his other one. They came to church for the first time yesterday and loved it. I can see them as the next additions to the branch. They're wonderful and I love them very much.

Elder Talbert is leaving Pocahontas. I'm following the same trend I've followed for most of my mission, at this point. Stay with a companion in my first area for two transfers, and then as I stay, only have a companion for one transfer at a time.

Something cool is happening, though. This is only speculation, but we'll see what happens. Elder Kowalk is probably going back to serve in West Memphis for his last transfer. :D This means he'll be in my same zone. We have zone meetings in West Memphis. Elder Kowalk and I can have lunch together after zone meetings. Oh, that would be so nice! We have two zone meetings this transfer as well. I'll also be able to see his departing testimony. Talk about an end-of-mission dream scenario. I'm excited.

Well, that's it from me. I hope everyone is having a good summer so far. It's getting pretty warm here. This is transfer 15/17. The end still seems forever away, though.

-Elder Staib


No comments:

Post a Comment